1. You sneak water bottles into restaurants to avoid breaking the bank on fancy restaurant water.
Tap Water? Forget about it.
Conaco / Via reactiongifs.us
2. You couldn’t even believe it the first time you had to pay to use the bathroom.
Walt Disney Productions / Via i714.photobucket.com
Literally, I beg your friggin pardon???
3. You look at a restaurant menu and notice that it’s cheaper to order a vodka shot than a Coke.
Sony Pictures Television / Via giphy.com
So naturally, this is the most economical option.
Jersey Films / Via blogger.com
4. You take a million pictures of churches…
Disney Television Animation / Via
…Only to later think: “What in God’s name am I supposed to do with a million pictures of churches?”
MTV / Via lito25.tumblr.com
5. You wander up and down the winding streets, searching for your hostel.
Heyday Films / Via theberry.com
And when you ask a local for directions, they look at you as though you have just arrived from outer space.
Comedy Central / Via pedestrian.tv
Because GUESS WHAT, your hostel doesn’t exist.
SNL Studios / Via i.imgflip.com
Gotta love phantom hostels.
6. You find your true love in France: wine that only costs two Euros.
MTV Production Development / Via elitedaily.com
7. You share a dorm room with a grown man who has no shame in publicly undressing.
Warner Bros. Television / Via twodumbgirls.tumblr.com
A scarring experience to say the least.
8. You wake up to the feeling of your bunk bed jiggling and realize that there are two people above you doing unspeakable things.
Warner Bros. Television / Via mojo.dailybruin.com
Either that or they are doing two-person push-ups. But probably the former.
9. On days you’re feeling cheap, you hoard food from the free hostel breakfast to avoid buying lunch.
10. But on days you’re feeling culturally stimulated, you eat ALL OF THE FOOD!!!!!!
Nickelodeon Animation Studios / Via gifrific.com
Local cuisine GET @ ME.
11. You get food poisoning and wind up at a local hospital where no one speaks English.
NBC Universal / Via studentbeans.com
I knew I shouldn’t have eaten that strange-looking meat.
12. You try to keep your things clean and tidy to ease the process of repacking.
Illumination Entertainment / Via riffsy.com
But let’s face it, that ain’t gonna happen.
Ryan McVay / Via Thinkstock
13. You wear the most stylish of handbags to avoid getting pickpocketed.
Hemera Technologies / Via Thinkstock
But be wary because “fanny pack” means something entirely different in the U.K. …
14. You feel all clever for using the expression “When in Rome” when you’re in actual Rome.
Dualstar Entertainment Group / Via moviepostershop.com
M-K and Ash know what’s up.
15. And you can’t possibly leave Rome without reenacting the famous Lizzie McGuire Movie scene.
Walt Disney Pictures / Via djvaladez.blogspot.com
16. You go on a free walking tour, only to learn that it’s not actually free.
20th Century Fox / Via m-magazine.com
I feel cheated.
17. You go to the South of France and Instagram a pic with a groundbreaking caption about Nice being nice.
Radio Disney / Via quickmeme.com
But I’m not gonna lie to you hunny, I’ve seen it before.
18. You try to get away with paying discounted fares on the Metro.
Apatow Productions / Via smg.photobucket.com
And if the authorities catch your sneakiness, you ever so innocently play the “sorry, I’m foreign” card.
19. You pretend to speak a made-up language when approached by men in the street selling roses or balls that you splatter on the ground.
Spyglass Entertainment / Via i494.photobucket.com
Disney Channel Original / Via freakingashtonirwin.tumblr.com
20. You come home from your trip tired, broke, and wearing your last clean T-shirt, which you probably won at a pub crawl.
Disney Animated Films / Via cefait01.wordpress.com
21. But it was worth every single penny, and you have no regrets.
New Line Cinema / Via betcheslovethis.com
22. And you promise yourself that you’ll visit again.
Hemdale Film Corporation / Via funnyjunk.com